Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Best Chili of Your Life

Monday night is the BCS Championship -- Auburn vs. Oregon at 7:30 pm. And what do you eat with football? Chili.

Normally I would make a basic red ground beef chili or a green pork chili, but over the New Year I found this recipe from The Amateur Gourmet claiming to be "The Best Chili of Your Life." Sounds like the perfect accompaniment for what I hope is best rout of my life when Auburn beats Oregon by a whole lot to nothing.

Despite being from a restaurant chef, Michael Symon, the recipe isn't overly complicated or difficult.

I say that and yet the first step was pan roasting and grinding my own corriander.


Then you coat the cubed pork roast in the corriander, sweet smoked paprika (which smells wonderful!), cumin, salt and paper and brown.



Then you add pound of slab bacon,


then the veggies -- onion, garlic, red bell pepper and jalapenos -- a beer, I used one of my Abita Christmas Ales, chicken stock, San Marzano tomatoes (I used diced), chipotles and dried black eyed peas.


Then it cooks for 2 1/2 hours. I'm planning to stick it in the fridge overnight and reheat and serve tomorrow. But we may have some tonight if the predicted snow arrives.

And after 2 1/2 hours you get this.


 Which dishes out like this.


And is doctored up with cilantro, green onions, smoked cheddar and sour cream like this.


The chili is quite spicy, I think due to the chipotles even though there's only two. But it's quite delicious. And tonight we'll see how it reheats.

No comments:

Post a Comment